Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Thursday, May 6, 2010

13 trillion dollars and counting

By the time you read this post our nation will be in debt 13 trillion dollars. Well probably, right at this moment it is $12,954,...,...,... I'm not blaming any particular person, I'm blaming the system as a whole. I found two ways that our government could save money and when called on it, they refused.
1: Ever year about four months before your birthday you get a paper statement in the mail saying what you can expect your retirement benefits to be based on what you have paid into social security. First of all, yeah right. Like SS is even going to be around by the time John & I retire (although I have never gotten a statement, John gets them regularly - it seems like every quarter or so, although the worker I spoke to yesterday on the phone said that isn't true). Second of all, duh! I know what I reported last year as paying social security. And if I really cared, I could look up my past tax returns and see what I paid. Third, why in this electronic age, can I not get these via email or some secure login social security website? Oh yeah because we have to waste trees, ink (yeah I'm turning into a recycling hippie here), postage, and labor (for delivering) to send these out to people who couldn't care less.
2: Census. Ok, I realized 1/2 way through this segment that I'd already posted my lovely experience with the census worker. Anyway, on top of that I had a census worker come to my house today. I told her we already filled it out but she said she had to fill it out anyway. Also, my brother & sister in law got 2 census forms in the mail a couple weeks apart. When they called they were told to fill out the form again and send it in AGAIN. Yeah - more $ down the toilet to pay for what has already been done!
grrrrrr government. Love the freedoms but hate the wastefulness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Food for thought - the government is paying me good money to be one of those "lovely" census workers.

No one else wants to hire a starving college student right now.

I agree that the government wastes a lot of money, but at least I'll be able to pay for school next year.

Becky said...

well I'm glad you got that job. I was thinking it would be awesome to be a part of history by doing that, I'm just sad the way I see money wasted every day on pointless things (especially when our children's education isn't on their financial agenda).