Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Introduction to Parents as Teachers Program

Thursday was our first day at school - in the Parents as Teachers Program. I first heard about this program at play group. The host mom was lucky enough to sign up four years ago right after her first son was born. So every month she has a teacher from this program come to her house and spend an hour with her sons. Since the wait list has become so long, they have adjusted the program a little bit and anyone can bring their child (under kindergarten age) to the local elementary on the first Thursday of the month to attend an open house of sorts any time from 9-2.
I got directions off of the Internet for H. high school (when I meant to get it for H. elementary). I think it's because I've had H high school on my mind because of the Pepsi Refresh Everything contest which I've been voting for our high school to get a new computer lab. Anyway - in looking for H. elementary with H. high school directions - obviously I needed to call my GPS - John & then my mom.
Finally got there - 30 minutes AFTER I planned on being there. Buddy was getting tired & hungry. But we had a good time.
This month was practicing on motor skills. He hammered golf tees into a piece of styrofoam (and then tried to eat a tiny piece of styrofoam). Then he had his first experience with play doh. Again he tried to eat a piece - then made "staas" (stars) with the cookie cutter. Meanwhile, I got a bunch of pamphlets with activities we can do together and how I can help him develop his vocabulary better. Since it was our first time we got a book that we get to keep - I chose a cloth book with Jungle animals - insert elephant sound here :) By then all the other kids had left & Buddy had found a ball (and was ready to leave with it). Every month we also get to check out a bag of books - and these books are in great condition. Unlike the library ones - you can hardly tell these have been read. We are still on the waiting list and with three years to go - maybe we'll make it to personal visits (if more funding doesn't get cut).
Anyway, it was a good experience. I think next time we'll have an early nap and go in the afternoon and I'll know how to get there - so it will be less stressful. I encourage everyone that has little ones to check the Parents as Teachers program out in your area - every little bit helps when it comes to teaching our kids.

0 comments: