Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Reflection on Slice of Life Challenge

As I've looked over my posts for this Slice of Life Challenge (which ends today) my main observation is that my life is composed of a lot of random thoughts amongst the mundaneness of every day routines. Course that is the case for most slice people. They don't have decorating blogs or product blogs. Just blogs about their personal lives. Half of the blogs I stalk are family/personal blogs of friends and relatives. The other half are decorating or giveaway blogs.
I also wonder the difference between a journal and a blog. I write in my blog a lot more in my journal - perhaps because I enjoy the feed back. But would I compose my darkest feelings and publish them on the world wide web? Maybe. But not on this blog (because this is a family blog)
It also made me wonder what would my ancestors have blogged about? We don't have everyones journals - it seems just a few. Would they have blogged about random things they saw or the mundane chores they had every day? I can just hear my posts if I were a pioneer, for example: "Today we walked 13 miles. Didn't reach our goal of 15 and Buddy almost got bitten by a snake because he ran off the trail (for the hundredth time this week)." Would it have been like that?
Listening to a podcast from a Slice of Life writer and his voice made me think what a treasure a blog post is and even a pod cast is because it records a piece of you on this world wide web but that it is also a piece of history for your posterity.
I love listening to my grandma's voice. I came across a few tapes of her reading stories (that she would always read to us growing up) and what a treasure having her voice recorded is.
Yes, I'm glad I did this challenge - even though most posts were random or just about me (and not our family). If anything, it made me record something every day and publish a slice of MY life for the world to see.
And in stirivng to do better at journal writing, I just purchased a new journal One Line a Day: A Five Year Journal. Of course blank notebooks and journals are another purchasing addiction of mine but maybe once I start I'll feel pressure to finish.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

I have loved reading your randomness! I love you sweetie. Be happy!

Anonymous said...

Becky,
I agree with you. Writing is so centering to me. I have long ago given up my writing journals for writing here, in the web and on my computer, but I have a long shelve of filled and half-filled journals. I need the possibility of a reader so here is better for me.
But good luck with you line a day...and keep slicing with us,
Bonnie