Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Friday, March 12, 2010

I found it!

Today has been awesome.

Buddy woke up earlier than usual and I actually got up earlier than usual so we were ready and at the play gym by 9:30. He had a great time - he discovered how awesome frisbees can be if you throw them and they land on their side and they roll a couple more feet. That entertained him for probably 20 minutes of the 1 1/2 hours we were there. I felt bad because my phone camera just isn't fast enough to capture him in his activities. I'll have to bring a video camera next time I bring him (which will probably be the last time of the season -they only have toddler open gym from January to the end March @ our rec center) to capture his energy. I find it amusing that we pay (it's only $1 a visit) to go to a place where his main fascination is the balls. Like we don't have in balls at our house or something. But it's wonderful for him to be able to run around and not have to worry about the weather (only big kids pushing him - but he tries to stay away from the ones that are really crazy and running around screaming).

Then we went to our car (parked by the river) and I got out the stale crackers (that I forgot last week) and we fed the ducks. Even when the loud geese came Buddy wasn't scared. We saw two squirrels (and since he's recently been fascinated with Donald Duck and Chip and Dale cartoons) he thought that was awesome. So we spent about 25 minutes out there feeding them some old crackers (that I didn't realize were VERY stale until I offered one to my brother last month and almost killed him when he put it in his mouth).

Then I put Buddy in the car and glanced something out of the corner of my eye. My old gym card!!
Before you Judge me, I promise that I have cleaned (including vacuumed) my car at least twice in the period in between losing the card and today. I had lost it probably two or three months before we moved (so probably around June).

Let me tell you why I am so excited to have this in my possession again. First, it has a copy of my very old drivers license on it. The license I got on September 11, 2001. I thought it was a good piece of history for my kids to know where I was and what I was doing on that very tragic day in our countries history. Second, it is a wonderful reminder of all those times I actually got off my butt and went to the gym. And a wonderful reminder of the friendships I developed there (yeah you - Michelle & Debbie) as well as a reminder of the humor we found there (spandex lady, all the "couples" hooking up / checking each other out, water aerobics, how silly I looked trying to do step class or that class with all the dance moves).
So I'm very glad to have my gym card back. And although I miss, probably more than anything in SL, working out with my friends; it is also a reminder that I can be healthy and workout 3-4 times a week.

P.S. I whited out my name and old address on purpose people: internet safety - never forget about the crazies out there surfin the web.

5 comments:

Lennye said...

Cherish these days, they go really fast! I don't think I ever believed anyone when they said that.

Anonymous said...

It's funny how anything that happened on 9/11/01 makes us take pause. When my husband's little cousin told me he was born on that day (I didn't meet my husband until 2004.), I just stopped and pondered. How would it feel to have that as your birthday. Strange to think about, but that's what your gym card made me think of (esp. when you said it was issued on September 11th).
SAS

Alan j Wright said...

The juxtaposition of personal and global history framed in the same piece of writing. It's amazing how such memories resurface throughout our lives. You captured the two experiences with deft balance.

Anonymous said...

It is funny how many times you can clean something and still not find what you are looking for.

I like saving old cards too- It is cool how they remind you of the past.

Kristi said...

Aww, good times at the gym. Still can't believe how shunned we were in that step class. Sometimes its nice to NOT belong :)