Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Not a Fan

My mom told me "never say never" because then it will happen to you. But there are two things you will never see in our house: wheelie shoes and chalkboard paint on the walls.
Working in pediatric neurosurgery has made me a lot more aware of the dangers of jumping on the bed, sledding, and any four-wheeled vehicle. But I don't remember seeing wheelie shoes as a cause of an injury. I just don't like them. Why would you encourage your kids to run / slide anywhere but your driveway? And why would you encourage them to rock back on their heels rather than walk like a normal person. I had roller blades & loved them as an adolescent but you wouldn't see me rollerblading in the mall (not that our town had a mall), or any other crowded place.
Chalkboard paint is a new fad in home decorating. But why would you teach your child that it's ok to draw on the walls AT ALL? I'm just thinking of my toddler and he doesn't know the difference between a special chalkboard wall and a regular one. And he doesn't know the difference between crayons or chalk (not that I think Buddy would like chalk - he has texture issues and issues with stuff on his hands: so the chalk would freak him out). And personally, I don't like chalk that much either and we don't have any here at home. Maybe it;s the chalk companies way of staying in business - now that a lot of schools, churches, and businesses are going with whiteboards for their display needs.

P.S. If you have wheelies or chalkboard paint - we can still be friends. As long as you don't sneak them into my house. :)

5 comments:

Brent and Jessica said...

I love it! Hope all is going well!

-C said...

I've always wondered about those wheelie shoes, too. I honestly don't think I was ever coordinated enough when I was that age to even attempt something like that. It's yet another thing I'm afraid I'll never understand.

Thanks for sharing today!

-Carrie F.

Anonymous said...

I am with you on both counts! But I saw a kid using wheelie shoes once in the airport and briefly thought about getting a pair for that purpose! Chalkboard paint...never!

Thinking Aloud said...

This is hilarious! I love the line,"Why would you encourage your kids to run / slide anywhere but your driveway? And why would you encourage them to rock back on their heels rather than walk like a normal person." I totally agree!!

jenbaum said...

I love your honesty!!! :)